Monday, April 26, 2010

Save Flipper!




I don't know if any of you saw Oprah last week on Earth day but I felt physically sick at what was going on in Japan with the slaughter of all those dolphins. The Japanese allow 19,000 dolphins to be slaughtered every year something which came to the attention of Ric O'Barry, the man behind the Oscar winning film "the Cove" and the trainer of Flipper from the television series. On Oprah he stated training Flipper was the worst thing he ever did because it brought to the World this friendly, cuddly dolphin. Before Flipper there were only 3 oceanariums around the World that had dolphins now most of them have dolphins. Everyone wants to swim, kiss, touch dolphins. "The cove" exposes the brutality of what is going on in Taiji in Japan and even the clip that was shown on Oprah made my stomach churn. I was lucky enough to be swimming in Hawaii with wild dolphins two years ago and that magical moment will stay with me forever, yet it has somewhat been tarnished by what is going on with dolphins around the world.

I wouldn't say I am an animal activist but I do believe in animal rights. I am as a person a protector, I need to protect. I am not strong, but I am with a 100 voices around me. I remember back in college doing my best to save the Lynx from extinction because so many were being killed for their fur. I loved that marketing project it gave me some sanity and it felt good to be part of that orgainzation. I have a strong desire to protect pit bulls, a breed that is over bred and is often found in the hands of abusive owners. But dolphins please, tell me one person that doesn't want to protect a dolphin (oh besides the Japanese). To top it off these dolphins aren't the only ones that are dying. The smallest know porpoise in the World the Vaquita is on the verge of extinction because of being caught in fishing nets. I was told this last week by a man holding a wooden version of the Vaquita at a bicycle race of all places, he is desperately trying to find anyone who can help this animal. One of the main things you can do he told me was, when buying shrimp ask where its come from. Places like Whole Foods know exactly where their meat and fish comes from or buy from a fishmonger (I know there aren't to many left these days, another dying breed).

What can you do? You can be one of the 100 voices that stand beside me, go to these links below and write a letter to stop them from hunting these beautiful creatures. It will take you 5 minutes and feel great about helping even if it is in a very small way. In fact instead of commenting use that time to start your letter.

http://www.takepart.com/thecove
http://savejapandolphins.org/
http://www.vaquita.org/index.html

2 comments:

septembermom said...

Thanks for sharing this info. It is important for us all to take part in saving animals in danger.

Roshni Mitra Chintalapati said...

I saw the video (at least 5 seconds before I got nauseated and switched off). Its really such a crime. I also understand that turtles are also treated in a most inhumane way.